Widen your opportunities with a second engine

The class rating Multi-Engine Piston (land) is intended for anyone who holds a Private Pilot Licence PPL(A) or a Commercial Pilot Licence CPL(A) and who

  • would like to be able to plan to fly with more certainty of being able to legally set off and arrive at the destination. With the redundancy offered by having two engines, multi-engined aeroplanes (MEP(Land)) are permitted to fly at night, over extensive stretches of water and, in the case of holder of an Instrument Rating IR(A), also fly in weather conditions with low cloud ceilings
  • are seeking a career as a professional pilot with a business jet operator or an airline, for which the type rating of the respective business jet or airliner required, the class rating MEP(Land) is a pre-entry requirement.

Most MEP(Land) aircraft have better performance (speed, climb rate) than SEP(Land) aircraft and offer better load carrying options. Twin engined aircraft bring prestige and speed, this alone can also be an incentive to gain the class rating MEP(Land).

To be able to exploit the advantages of a multi-engine aeroplane – especially flying in the event of an engine failure – requires skill and experience. Asymmetric flight operation (flight with one engine) is a new challenge for pilots – significant training is required to master this class of aircraft.

The syllabus prescribed by EASA* provides for an extensive 3.5 hours of “asymmetric training” as part of the 6 hours of training.

Furthermore, the larger aeroplane requires familiarization with new aeroplane systems such as retractable landing gear, hydraulics, de-icing system, and in some cases pressurized cabin environment.

* EASA (European Union Aviation Safety Agency)

To train the holder of a PPL(A), CPL(A) or ATPL(A) for the issue of a class rating MEP(Land), which will allow him to act as pilot in command (PIC) under visual flight rules in single-pilot multi-engine piston aeroplanes (land) on non-commercial flights.

Before commencing the course, you must hold a current PPL(A) or CPL(A) or ATPL(A).

Before the application for the issue of a class-rating MEP(Land) you must have:

  • completed at least 70 hours as PIC in aeroplanes
  • passed a theoretical knowledge examination organised by the ATO
  • 7 hours Theory (Classroom)
  • 6 hours Flight Training

See Timeline CR MEP(Land) [link to PDF]

See Costs CR MEP(Land) [link to PDF]